26 November 2014

Prof, Wole Soyinka - I Surfered Cancer for 10 Month.

Prof. Wole Soyinka revealed today that he lived with prostrate cancer for 10 month, but was recently cured.

L-R: Commissioner for Health, Dr.Olaokun Soyinka; Prof. Wole Soyinka and Prof.Femi Williams
L-R: Commissioner for Health, Dr.Olaokun Soyinka; Prof. Wole Soyinka and Prof.Femi Williams
 Prof. Soyinka made the revelation at a press conference tagged: “Beyond Ebola and Beyond Reign of the Silent Killer” held at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta, Ogun state capital.

“I discovered that I was afflicted with prostrate cancer in December last year and was finally cured of the killer disease on October 28 this year,”said by Soyinka.

 Prof. Soyinka further stated that he decided to make the revelation to encourage others poeple suffering from the disease, as well as to compel those in charge of the health sector to take the treatment more seriously.

 I discovered in November last year that I had cancer and I have been going for treatment. I finished treatment on October 28 and that’s why I’ve come out to tell this to the public. Many people start looking at you as if you are a ghost; No! It’s not a death sentence and it is curable. I have undergone the treatment and I even have a certificate and medal to show for it, but I don’t normally wear decorations. Soyinka said.


The Nobel laureate also appealed to the Federal Government to ensure that “we build our own cancer capabilities,” expressing regrets that Nigerian oncologists in the Diaspora had not been given the opportunity to exhibit their expertise at home while other countries have taken advantage of them.

Source: PM News 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...